Friday, March 5, 2010

Barn Dances

My entrée into the events and weddings industry was as a dance caller. I fell in love with contra dancing in 1992.  I started calling in 1994.  I met my husband at Kimmswick, 2000.  We had a wonderful contra dance at our wedding in 2001.  I took some time off from dancing after I started having babies, but I’ve been back at it for a year and a half now, and I love it more than ever!


While it’s a lot of fun to call a dedicated contra-dance where everyone knows the moves, there’s a very special place in my heart for community dances (like most weddings) where people just want to have fun, and they’re game for trying something new. That’s really where the folk tradition thrives!

As a caller at dozens of wedding receptions, I saw a lot of things that were really creative and beautiful, and developed some opinions about weddings and community celebrations. Oddly enough, though, I’ve only recently seen the possibility of incorporating my hobby as a caller with my profession as an event planner!

I would love to plan and coordinate more “country” weddings and celebrations.  If you’re looking for a barn dance or just a wedding in a more rustic venue with a natural feel, I’ve a ton of resources for you! (Think locally produced flowers, and beautiful country venues)  Coming soon to the Planned Spontaneity Blog will be some Business Spotlights.  My first two interviews have been with owners wedding barns in the region. 


Check back soon!
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your feedback! Please leave me a comment.

Recent Comments